Wednesday, March 16, 2011

‘Shirring’ Sheer Delights

I have gotten a good bite into a couple projects I’ve only been dreaming about for years!

Interestingly, they are both based on shirring sheer fabrics not only as a major design tenant, but also as the main technique for shaping the front of the garment.

I have always been fascinated by relative retrospectives in the history of clothing. Here, I am looking 50 years back from the 1930’s (the 1880’s) and observing the reclaiming of clothing design and construction premises.

The ‘first’ project is this 1938 Frock. I am cutting it from white silk crepe georgette printed in black polka-dots with black crepe georgette contrast:


The second project is this 1888 French Blouse. Originally, it is prescribed in faille or bangaline, but I will cut mine in white silk georgette with black lace contrast (pattern coming later this year):


When approaching the 1938 Frock, I had to do some paper pattern adjustment as far as grading and lengthening. I will soon post photos of those processes to share with you as well as technical points in sewing this frock in the sheer fabrics I have chosen. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anna Depew said...

These are going to be fantastic, I can't wait to see them made up!

Ginger said...

Oooo! Looking forward to that Victorian pattern! Lovely;)