Monday, January 4, 2010

Scintillating - An Amalgamation of Past and Present, also to honor Charles

I just posted this project on THREADS Magazine's Fancy Fabrics Contest. This is 80% metal/20% silk crinkle organza, one of my favorite fabrics with which I have been working over the last three years.



The bodice is cut from a contemporary Vogue pattern and the skirt is from this 1935 evening gown pattern.

It was this evening when I learned that Charles Kleibacker had passed on yesterday. As I commented on Threads: I was honored to have one of my clients bring him to my dressmaking shop here in Columbus 4 years ago and I since talked with him at The Columbus Museum of Art where he had been curating.

I meant to look him up again not long ago and now am sorry I hadn't. I had thought about him the two days when I was building this gown, particularly when modifying the bias part of the bodice.

The sewing world is a lesser place without him and his positive attitude. 'Good things' he would say to me at the end of our phone conversation...

Photo by Cynthia DeGrand

2 comments:

Hillary said...

Congratulations on your win; so well-deserved!! This dress is absolutely stunning, and I recognized it as yours from the first glimpse on Threads. Fantastic!!

Ginger said...

Beautiful! Which Vogue pattern did you use? was it a altered V8578? I've been looking for a pattern like that after falling in love with a Marc Bouwer dress:
http://www.bluefly.com/Marc-Bouwer-GlamIt-malachite-satin-deep-v-halter-gown/cat60019/304543101/detail.fly