Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Option Explicit Success!

First two panels etched today. Each 24"x36" panel took 50 minutes in the laser cutter. Settings are: 50% speed at 40% power with a frequency of 2500. The lens was cleaned yesterday, so I had to modify my test settings considerably as two fires resulted from using my tested settings from the days of a dirty lens!
This post is mostly for my little self, but I will add photos of the gown in progress here once I have cut all panels...



Early in-progress post.
Also see this finished-state post.

Wool Flannel Lace Experiment.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

On the Boards-Spring 2008

I now have this wonderful pattern ready from my site:



I am currently working through this one from Germany, circa 1935 to have for you this June:




I have some more goodies up my sleeve for June and July.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Option Explicit-Part Drei 'Fray Factor'

I was finally able to experiment cutting the metal silk a couple weeks ago. It was very satisfying and I have determined the correct laser settings, but I learned that I cannot make a completely clean cut through the fabric to pass it off well enough.
The fray (at right) is too much! I have decided that simply etching the fabric with the laser-cut pattern is the way to go for an equally impressive fabric design as seen at left.

Once I have every yard of the metal silk I need for the entire project, I will cut it into the 24x36 inch panels and have about 10 goes with the laser cutter. Stay tuned!